Patient 7: CHRONIC INSOMNIA FOR 30 YEARS.
This is a real patient history. Their identification details have been removed to maintain the patient’s privacy.
- Mother of five children
- Unable to fall asleep since the age of 12
- She sleeps only 2 – 3 hours every two to three days
- She had been experiencing perimenopause symptoms for some time
- Other than high blood pressure, she does not have any other chronic diseases.
- She said that she practises mindfulness to calm her down
- Physical Exam
- Normal including blood pressure (she has been on blood pressure tablets), heavy smoker
- Blood Tests
- High Estrogen, Low progesterone
- Increased eosinophils
- Normal Serum Copper
- Blood Cortisol (Stress Hormone)
- Very High at 8am, 12 noon and 4pm
- Fasting Insulin was higher than normal
- Fasting blood sugar was elevated (almost close to diabetic level)
- Normal Thyroid Levels
- Iron, Vit B12, Magnesium and Calcium were normal
- Slightly raised homocysteine
- Analysis of Intake Forms
- Features of extremely severe dysbiosis
- Severe fatigue score
- Non-specific headaches twice a month (non-hormonal)
- In her health appraisal form, she scored high for the following systems indicating poor functions:
- Gastrointestinal Tract
- Thyroid System
- Symptoms of PMS (Pre-menstrual Syndrome)
- Small Intestines
- Liver/Gall Bladder
- Fatigue and Adrenals
- Menopausal Symptoms
- Detoxification Issues
- Psychological History
- Mild Depression and Anxiety Symptoms
Appropriate treatments started targeted towards causative factors.
- Within one month, her blood pressure medication could be halved
- Had started feeling better, less stressed
- Her blood sugar levels normalised
- She had started to sleep for 6 hours every night without a trouble
- After 3 months of treatment
- She did not have high blood pressure anymore. Blood sugar was normal. Her sleep was restful and lasting 6 – 8 hours without difficulty in falling asleep.
- Patient was discharged as she did not have any more issues. Her blood pressure medication was ceased.